A Message from Mayor Susan C. Renda
...continued from main page.
A 2008 study of the existing Service Facility showed it was unsafe for our employees and inadequate for operations. The Village hired an architectural/engineering firm to design the new facility and set a budget of $3 million dollars;
- Built the facility without taking on debt as we had saved for it over several years;
- Finished the facility on time and slightly under budget ($2.8 million);
- Built a retaining wall along Chagrin Blvd. to achieve hillside stabilization and save the road using a combination of Village funds and state grants in 2009;
- Ten years later the Village is building a retaining wall along S. Woodland Rd. to achieve hillside stabilization and to save the road using a combination of Village funds and state grants;
In 2013 our beloved Building Commissioner and friend, Greg Potts, died unexpectedly leaving a hole in our hearts. Many generous residents and Village employees donated time and money to build a fishing dock designed by our Engineer Jeff Filarski. We named it Potts Pier in honor of Greg.
- In 2011 Moreland Towne Center was finished and restaurants and retail establishments opened;
- In 2013 Police Chief M. Dale Canter came out of retirement to deftly guide our Police Department through a difficult time;
- In 2015 I dedicated Veterans’ Park to those who have served their country in the military;
In 2016 the Village updated its master plan. Residents voted to approve one of the recommendations included in that study: a limited rezoning of property along Chagrin Blvd. to allow for the development of a new neighborhood, Moreland Commons. According to our Treasurer, the estimated tax benefit to the Village upon completion of the project will be approximately $200,000 per year.
Council members and I worked hard together to keep the Village running smoothly. I’m hoping we made it look effortless. We accomplished a lot over the last 12 years; I could have written about much more. But it is time for me to say and goodbye. I hope to see you soon.