The Village of Moreland Hills Service Department provides snow removal for all dedicated streets within the Village boundaries which totals approximately 78 lane miles. During a continuous snowfall the plow routes are divided into two zones. Routes are plowed and salted with the Village main roads and secondary roads with steep grades taking top priority. When the snowplow operator has determined that the priority streets are safe for travel, all other secondary and side streets will be plowed and salted. During heavy continuous snows storms the service department enacts a conservation mode regarding salt usage requiring that all roads be plowed and salt only be applied at curves, hills, and intersections.
Interesting Moreland Hills Snow Removal Facts
- The Village of Moreland Hills uses approximately 4000 tons of street salt per snow season
- The cost of salt per ton is $49.00
- The Village’s on site salt dome stores approximately 1200 tons
- One snow and ice truck will dispense approximately 21 tons of salt per 8 hour shift
- The length of time to complete a snow removal route once, is approximately 4.5 hours
- The cost of one Municipal salt and Ice truck is approximately $150,000.00
- The Village of Moreland Hills provides Driveway Snow removal for qualifying residents
- The Village of Moreland Hills allows by ordinance, snow removal for non-dedicated streets that request snow and ice service for a fee based on linear feet
Snow and Ice Removal
The Village of Moreland Hills has implemented the use of liquid deicers for the 2008-2009 snow season. This helped reduce the overall use of granular road salt by 20- 30%, which is more economical for the Village, and will also help to protect the environment for our children’s future.
The overall recommendations and goals of the Village are to increase side street coverage, become less dependent on aggregates, increase liquid technology, protect the environment, while being as fiscally responsible as possible to better serve the residents of Moreland Hills.